Primary communication modes with Parents & Swimmers:
- Website: please check this site first for information!
- Coaches Alerts: SIGN-UP to receive them, or remain in the dark :( ...no whining if you're out of the loop. Important info from coaches and important last minute changes are communicated immediately via text alerts (delays, cancellations, critical last minute reminders, etc.)
- Family Mail Folder: swimmers should check their family mail folder after practice each day (located on the Glick Pool counter).
- Email: please check regularly - emails will be sent your member email address(es).
Eligibility for age groups is determined by the age of the swimmer on June 15 per the NEW League. Please note that swim coaches may assign very advanced swimmers to “swim” in an older age category – but at no time can a swimmer compete or practice in a younger age group.
Transportation/from meets is the sole responsibility of the parents. Parents are encouraged to car pool and share transportation responsibilities as meet parking can sometimes be a challenge.
Parents/Swimmers - Please Declare Meet Attendance via website
It is the responsibility of the parent to declare meet attendance for their swimmers (older swimmers can take on this responsibility) via this site. Only swimmers who have declared they will be attending meet will be entered in meet events. If your child has a schedule conflict but may possibly attend, select "Will attend, but do not enter in relays." There are also options for attending but arriving late, or leaving early, etc.
If your child commits to attend, please have them attend (unless illness/ emergency arises, in which case, please inform coach immediately). It's important for each swimmer to learn to keep their commitment to their team, to their coaches, and to themselves.
Swimmers - Check with Coach before leaving meet
Never leave a meet early without checking with the coach! Your swimmer may be entered in a relay towards the end of the meet – and the team might be forced to forfeit the event without your swimmer!
Swimmers - See Coach after Each Event
Swimmers, please see one of the coaches after each swim event during the meets for feedback. Please be patient and courteous about waiting as they may be taking splits or observing teammates in their events.
Parents - Coaches NOT Available During Meet/Practice for NON-Urgencies
Parents, the coaches are NOT available to you either during meets or practices, as they need to focus on the participants. Please see the Meet Director or a Board Member if you have a question or concern during these times. While every effort will be made to give you an immediate resolution, one of these individuals will follow through to obtain an answer or resolution as soon as possible. Make arrangements to either request a telephone call from the person you spoke with – email or call within a day or two to ascertain results.
Regular Pool Rules Always in Effect
All regular pool rules are in effect during practice and at meets. Lifeguards will be present and have full authority to enforce rules!
All swimmers must leave the pool area immediately following practice. The exception to this rule is for swimmers who are registered to participate in Muirfield Association swim lessons or if the pool is opening directly after practice and parents are present or the swimmer is old enough to remain at the pool without a guardian.
Swimmers and parents are expected to bring their Muirfield Swim Pass all practices.
Parents - Sibs MAY NOT Use Pool Facilities During Meet/Practice
Parents who must bring non-participating siblings while waiting for a Muirfin swimmer may NOT use the pool facilities – this includes the Baby Pool area. Sitting on the pool deck with feet dangling in the pool is also not permitted! It is expected that small children remain in constant control and their safety be the sole responsibility of the supervising parent. The lifeguards on duty during swim team practice are responsible for ensuring the safety of team members ONLY. It is at the discretion of the coaches or any Muirfins board member to request that parents not in compliance with this rule be asked to leave the premises. (The Muirfins pay for separate team liability insurance and this can legally be enforced!).
Planned Practice Absence
All requests to be excused from practice should be communicated directly to the coaches.
Championship Meet Eligibility (NEW League Rules)
- Swimmers’ eligibility to swim in the age group events is determined by their birthday as of June 15 of the current season. Children who have just graduated from high school and meet the age requirement are eligible to swim.
- All swimmers must be listed on the official roster as of 6/30, which is held by the League Commissioner. Swimmer information must include birth dates.
- Swimmers must have participated in at least two N.E.W. Dual meets this season.
- One relay team per team will be allowed. Swimmers on the relay teams are not required to participate in any individual events at finals to swim as part of the relay team. Swimmers may swim up an age group for relays only.
- The top 16 swimmers from each individual event at preliminaries swim at finals. This does not guarantee each team to have a swimmer at finals for the individual events; this does allow a single team to have 16 swimmers at finals for an individual event.
- Each swimmer is allowed to swim a maximum of 2 individual events at preliminaries.
- Each swimmer is allowed to swim a maximum of 2 individual events and 2 relay events at finals.
- Ties for 16th place will swim at finals, a third heat will be added with at least 3 swimmers swimming in the last heat.
- The Irish Relays do not count toward eligibility.